Best freeze-dried foods for camping are a great option for all campers because they are lightweight, easy to carry, and do not require any cooking or preparation. They also taste great and are a good source of protein and carbs. They can be eaten straight out of the bag or reconstituted with water. The best freeze-dried foods for camping are ideal because there is no need to worry about the weight of your food when you go camping. Freeze-drying is a process that removes all the water from food by sublimating it at very low temperatures. The process preserves the food for long periods without using any preservatives or additives.
Best freeze-dried foods for camping are lightweight and compact, so they’re a good choice for backpacking. They also have a long shelf life and can be easily rehydrated. To find the best freeze-dried food for camping, you’ll want to consider these factors: price, weight, taste, and nutritional value.
When it comes to buying freeze-dried food, price should always be a factor of consideration. Freeze-dried food is often less costly and also lasts longer. According to the USDA, freeze-dried food, in general, is almost three times as expensive as canned or packaged foods.
People need to be mindful when buying freeze-dried food. They should consider the weight of the freeze-dried food that they are purchasing. A pound of freeze-dried food is equal to about 3,600 calories.
A person’s taste is a primary factor to consider when buying freeze-dried food. Although their taste may change over time, freeze-dried food is more convenient and cost-effective. Best freeze-dried food for camping retains its taste and nutritional value compared to wet or canned foods. This means that you don’t have to worry about eating something that has lost some of its flavor or nutrients due to processing.
1. Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with Noodles
Are you tired of cooking while camping? Let this frozen Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with Noodles save you time. It is pre-prepared and ready to cook, so heat and serve all you have to do! There’s nothing quite as satisfying as good beef stroganoff when it comes to campfire cooking. But this classic dish is usually a lot of work – you need to brown the meat, cook the onions and mushrooms and make the roux. If you need to pack a meal for camping, this is a perfect choice. The frozen Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with Noodles can be reheated in your oven or stovetop the next day and makes for a big pot of comfort food, making it one of the best freeze-dried foods for camping.
- The meal is delicious
- It has no artificial flavors or colors.
- It is lightweight and portable hence can be consumed anywhere.
- They are packed with a 30-year taste assurance.
- It is easy to prepare; it only requires hot water to the pouch.
- The packaging is a health hazard if it is not utilized properly.
- If improperly disposed of, the packaging affects the environment since it is non-biodegradable.
- DELICIOUS MEAL! Tender beef, noodles, and mushrooms smothered in a rich sour cream sauce. Freeze-dried to lock in nutrients and freshness. No refrigeration needed.
- NO ARTIFICIAL COLORS OR FLAVORS - Made with no artificial flavors or colors. Pouch contains two servings. Great for one hungry backpacker, or share it with your camping or backpacking buddy.
2. ReadyWise Emergency Food Supply Survival Kit
ReadyWise Emergency Food Supply is a company that has been providing emergency food and supplies since the late 1800s. With their latest product – the ReadyWise Freeze-Dried Survival-Food Disaster Kit – they have found a way to make this food last up to 30 years without refrigeration. ReadyWise is a leader in emergency food, camping equipment, and supplies for the modern prepper. We have a wide array of goods designed to keep your household safe during emergencies and during escapades such as camping.
- A wide variety of survival kits to select from.
- Positive customer reviews
- Has long-lasting storage.
- The variety pack allows one to select four special meals in every bucket.
- Prepared by just adding water.
- It is an essential survival kit with 52 total servings of four meals, two breakfasts, and two drinks.
- The company offers limited information about shipping
- A restocking fee of $15
- ESSENTIAL SURVIVAL KIT: Each bucket contains 52 total servings of 4 meals, 2 breakfasts, and 2 drinks.
- JUST ADD WATER: Each entrée is easy to prepare in any emergency circumstance using just water.
3. Augason Farms Emergency Pail
Augason Farms is an American company that specializes in outdoor cooking gear and emergency food supplies. They have been supplying their products to the military, government agencies, and civilians since 1946. A variety pail is a great option for everyday use. The Augason Farms Emergency Pail contains breakfast and dinner meals that are easy to prepare.
- Variety of food in the pail.
- Easy to store, transport, and prepare.
- The product has high versatility.
- Perfect solution for campers since it is easy to prepare.
- Lacks the proper nutritional value expected in a correct food supply.
- It is relatively expensive.
- 106 nutritionally balanced servings
- 15 Food Pouches
4. Augason Farms Freeze Dried Sweet Corn 1lb No. 10 Can
Augason Farms is one of the most successful companies in the industry. They are committed to providing consumers with a selection of high-quality and great-tasting products. One of their most popular products is the Augason Farms ‘No.10’ Freeze Dried Sweet Corn. In addition to being available in bulk and individual servings, their product line also includes soups and stew.
- The product is delicious.
- It rehydrates quickly and can be used in salads, soups, or side dishes.
- Long shelf life of approximately 30 years.
- Family operated; hence it has maintained its culture and taste for decades.
- The 23 servings have 1,804 calories.
- Must be stored dry place, and this might be challenging
5. Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce is a freeze-dried food product from Mountain House. It is a great meal for backpacking, camping, hiking, and emergencies. This lasagna provides you with enough calories to last for up to six months in the wilderness.
- Low price point
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Ideal for those who are looking for budget-friendly options.
- Made with no additional preservatives, color, or flavors
- Too similar to traditional lasagna
- DELICIOUS MEAL! Pasta with cheese in a rich tomato meat sauce makes this a favorite Italian entree. Freeze-dried to lock in nutrients and freshness. No refrigeration needed.
- NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING - Made with no preservatives, artificial flavors or colors. Can contains nine total servings. Great for one hungry backpacker, or to share with your camping buddy.
6. Biscuits and Gravy
The freeze-dried food market grows rapidly as people turn to these products for convenience, taste, and nutrition. With the right equipment, you can make your freeze-dried food at home or find a retailer near you that sells them. Biscuits & Gravy is an easy and delicious meal that you can make in a matter of minutes, falling under the category of best freeze-dried foods for camping.
- No artificial additives
- The packaging is recyclable
- It has a stable shelf life of up to 30 years.
- It takes less than ten minutes to prepare with no need for clean-up.
- The meal is delicious.
- Negative reviews from customers claiming the food is too salty.
- The high-calorie count in a single product; is not recommended for dieters and those with health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.
- DELICIOUS BREAKFAST! Hot fluffy buttermilk biscuits with creamy pork sausage gravy make for a hearty, family-favorite breakfast around the campfire or on the couch. Freeze-dried to lock in nutrients and freshness. No refrigeration needed.
- NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING - Made with no preservatives, artificial flavors or colors. Contains two total servings. Great for one hungry backpacker or split it with your camping buddy.
7. Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef
Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef is the best freeze-dried food for camping with a surprising amount of flavor. Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef is ideal for hikers, campers, and backpackers. It is a versatile, tasty meal that can be eaten hot or cold in different ways. It is also an excellent choice for emergency food storage. The chili mac comes in one package and includes all the ingredients you need to make it. It takes only minutes to prepare and cook this meal in boiling water or on the stovetop.
- It has an abundance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat to keep you going for hours.
- It is the perfect meal for any occasion, and it’s easy to make
- Great taste
- It contains a lot of sodium and fat
- The taste is not as good as fresh food
- It cannot be easy to store in an airtight container.
- DELICIOUS MEAL! Spicy chili sauce with beef, macaroni noodles, onion, and beans. A long time Mountain House favorite recipe. Freeze-dried to lock in nutrients and freshness. No refrigeration needed.
- NO ARTIFICIAL ANYTHING - Made with no preservatives, artificial flavors or colors. Can contains 10 total servings. Great for feeding a family or a large group.
8. Augason Farms Dehydrated Apple Slices Certified Gluten-Free Long Term Food Storage Large No. 10 Can
Augason Farms produces a Dehydrated Apple Slices Certified Gluten-Free Long Term Food Storage Large No. 10 Can, which is great for emergency food storage and camping. Dehydrated apple slices are made up of dehydrated apples and corn syrup that keep the product safe to eat.
- The can is certified gluten-free, and no preservatives are used
- It is created for long-term storage
- It is versatile, one can add to cereals, smoothies, salads, and desserts
- The product has a high sodium content
- The product also has lots of sugar in it
- It might cause digestive issues for people with diabetes or other medical conditions.
- Total Servings: 20
- Total Calories: 1200
9. Augason Farms Scrambled Egg Mix 2 lbs 4 oz No. 10 Can
Augason Farms Scrambled Egg Mix is a popular breakfast meal that can be served in various ways. It is an easy, quick, and healthy meal that can be prepared quickly and easily. The Augason farms scrambled egg mix is made with simple ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store. It comes in a convenient 4-ounce can. This product is among the best freeze-dried foods for backpacking, or emergencies with limited resources available.
- Great source of protein
- A healthy option with plenty of nutrients
- Easy to prepare
- It is not nutritionally sound
- Contains too much salt, too much sugar, and too much fat.
10. Mother Earth Products Dried Vegetable Soup Mix, 10oz
Mother Earth Dried Vegetable Soup Mix is a great protein, fiber, and minerals source. It’s also gluten-free and vegan. Mother Earth Dried Vegetable Soup Mix is a great addition to any diet plan or an emergency food supply. The company offers flavors like original, creamy tomato basil and spicy Thai coconut curry.
- This product is a great alternative to canned soups
- It is made from non-GMO ingredients
- It has no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- This product has a long list of ingredients that are not healthy for you.
- High sodium content,
- High saturated fat content, and
- High sugar content
- Non GMO and gluten free
- Can store up to 25 years in proper conditions
Outdoor enthusiasts have a lot of things to consider when preparing for an extended stay in the wilderness. The best freeze-dried food for camping is Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef. It is easy to prepare, has a great taste, and is packed with protein, carbohydrates, and other nutrients that can help keep people up and moving through a long day. When choosing to go camping, you may not want to take the time to rehydrate your freeze-dried food or cook it up in a campfire over a grill.