Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love using a flashlight while they are camping? Flashlights are an important part of a good camping gear setup. When nighttime comes, you’ll want to make sure you have a good flashlight handy, so you don’t get lost in the dark.
So what type of flashlight should you get? Well, that all depends on your needs and your circumstances. How much light do you need? How long do you need it to last? Does it need to fit in your pocket, or are you looking for a bigger light?
Those are only a few of the questions you can ask yourself to help determine what flashlight is right for you. So we decided to give you our suggestions on the best flashlights to make it easy for you to find one that works for you.
What to Look For
When it comes to finding a great flashlight, there are a few aspects that need to be considered. We’ll list out a few of the aspects we find to be the most important to help you evaluate what is most important to you.
Finding a flashlight that produces enough light for your needs might be the most important factor in flashlight selection. Brightness is measured in lumens. Standard older incandescent style flashlights would typically provide up to 150 lumens, but new LED flashlights often start at around 100 and go into the thousands.
The amount of time a flashlight can remain on before it must be recharged or the batteries need to be replaced. The older incandescent flashlights could run up to 11 hours, but LED flashlights can now run for over 100 hours. Finding one that will last the proper amount of time for your need is important.
How well made is the flashlight? Will it break if it happens to slip out of your hand, or can you throw it against a wall and it will keep trucking along? You want to make sure that the flashlight you choose can handle some abuse before it stops working.
This can be very important if you think you might get rain while out camping. Can the flashlight get wet without breaking? Can it be submerged in water, or does it need to stay dry?
Size definitely matters when it comes to flashlights. You might want something that is easy to fit in your pocket, or you might want something that has plenty of hand and grip space.
Having the ability to adjust the brightness lever will really come in handy. Having multiple light modes like high, medium, and low will allow you to adjust the amount of light to your needs as well as prolong the current charge of the batteries.
No one likes having to buy new batteries for flashlights. Having a rechargeable flashlight makes it really easy to use your flashlight for years without any extra expenses beyond the initial cost.
Best Camping Flashlight Reviews
Anker Bolder LC90 Rechargeable Flashlight
Anker’s Bolder 2-cell 900 lumen Cree LED flashlight is an awesome choice to bring with you camping. The flashlight is a great size with a full hand grip without it being too big and bulky.
Additionally, the flashlight is water resistant and will last up to 30 hours on its medium setting. The flashlight comes with premium rechargeable 3350mAh batteries and includes 5 different light settings: High / Medium / Low / Strobe / SOS.
- Awesome run time (up to 30 hours): With up to 30 hours of run time, this flashlight will last a very long time, so you won’t have to worry about bringing extra batteries for short camping trips.
- Great size, not too small, not too large: This flashlight is very comfortable and is a great size for carrying. It’s not too big and not too small. Overall it’s a great size.
- Rechargeable: With the ability to be rechargeable, you won’t have to worry about buying extra batteries.
- Water-resistant: This flashlight is water resistant, which is a very nice feature to have so that you don’t worry about it getting wet around your campsite or in the rain.
- 5 light modes (High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS): With 5 light modes, this is a very versatile flashlight that makes it easy to use in every situation.
- Nothing, we really like this flashlight.
GearLight LED Tactical Flashlight S1000 [2 PACK]
This set of GearLight Tactical LED Flashlights is an awesome set of camping flashlights. It comes in a set of two, which makes the price even better. The flashlights can focus on objects up to 1000 feet away, are water resistant, and made virtually indestructible. With powerful LED bulbs, these flashlights can last up to 5 hours on only 3 AAA batteries.
- Comes in a set of 2: A set of two is a great way to get two great flashlights for the price of one.
- Military-grade aluminum body: These are well-crafted flashlights that you can be assured will be able to handle some abuse.
- Water resistant: Water resistance is a great feature that the best camping flashlights have so that you can depend on them in any camping situation.
- Comes with holsters: A nice extra feature is that these flashlights come with carrying holsters. You won’t have to worry about keeping it in your pocket with these holsters.
- Run time slightly low: At only 5 hours, these flashlights do not have the longest run time. You’d be wise to bring some extra batteries with you on your camping trips.
- Not rechargeable: Camping flashlights don’t have to be rechargeable, but it is a nice feature to have.
Maglite LED 3-Cell D Flashlight
Maglight flashlights are the standard in flashlights and are some of the most durable lights you can buy. This 3-cell D flashlight is great for camping because it will be difficult to lose. A flashlight of this size is not something easy to overlook.
Additionally, because of the size, this flashlight has the longest running time of any flashlight on our list. This flashlight will run for a whopping 80 hours. It might not be the brightest light at 165 lumens, but it will still provide plenty of light for most needs and will last you a very long time.
- 80 hours of run time: This flashlight has a seriously long run time. At 80 hours of run time, you won’t have to run out of power even on longer camping trips.
- Durability & quality of build: Maglite flashlights are made well and can take a real beating. This flashlight will put up with lots of rough usage and so is good for even kids.
- Water resistant: Water resistance is a great option to have on camping flashlights so that you don’t have to worry about them breaking in wet conditions.
- Only 168 lumens: The lumens that are produced by this flashlight are rather low. It will be fine in closer/near conditions but won’t be enough light for farther distances.
- Only 1 light mode: With only one light mode, you don’t have any options to change the output for specific situations.
J5 Tactical V1-PRO Flashlight
This J5 Tactical V1-Pro flashlight is a great option to take with you camping. With the flashlight able to produce 300 lumens, you will not be lacking for light. The flashlight is very compact and can easily clip onto your belt, pants, pocket, or fit inside your pocket. This flashlight runs off of a single AA battery, so you don’t have to worry about bringing lots of extra batteries.
- Easily fits in your pocket: This is a great flashlight if you are wanting something that can easily fit in your pocket without feeling too big and bulky.
- 3 light modes (High, Low, Strobe): With 3 different light modes, you can easily choose a light mode that will work for every situation.
- Water resistant: Having a water-resistant flashlight is important so that you don’t have to worry about it breaking while out on a camping trip.
- Comes with attached belt clip: With an attached belt clip, you can easily attach this flashlight to your belt for easy and quick access.
- Could feel a little too small for larger hands: This is a smaller and compact flashlight and might feel a little too small to some people.
- Not rechargeable: This flashlight is not rechargeable,
- so you will have to plan on having some extra batteries with you if you run out of power.
Stanley Fatmax Spotlight Flashlight
Stanley’s FATMAX SL10LEDS rechargeable LED spotlight is a great option for those who like the larger spotlight feel. At 920 lumens, this spotlight will have lots of light for all situations. As an added feature, there is a USB port that allows you to charge mobile devices and small electronics directly from the flashlight.
- Super bright 920 lumens: This flashlight puts out a lot of light. If you are wanting a flashlight that will light up the forest, this is the one you want.
- Rechargeable: No need to worry about extra batteries with this flashlight. It is rechargeable, which is a great feature to have to eliminate the need to bring extra batteries.
- Ability to charge other devices: Need a little extra juice in your phone? This flashlight has got you covered. This is one of the best camping flashlights because it also acts as a battery bank that allows you to charge other devices.
- Low run time: When the flashlight is on high, you only have 1 hour of run time.
- Not water resistant: This flashlight is not water resistant, so you will want to avoid getting it wet or using it in the rain.
HeroBeam LED Flashlight & Lantern Combo
HeroBeam’s LED flashlight and lantern combo make a great camping flashlight because it is so versatile. This is a bright flashlight that also offers a lantern mode for when you need to light an entire area or room.
A nice extra with this flashlight is that it comes with batteries. No need to worry about getting the right batteries; this flashlight comes with everything you’ll need to start using it right away. In addition to being water-resistant, this is a great camping flashlight option.
- Flashlight & lantern modes: This flashlight has multiple light modes, with one of them being a lantern mode. All the options make this a very versatile flashlight.
- Batteries included: This is one of the few flashlights that come will batteries as so there is no need to find the right batteries.
- Water-resistant: This flashlight is water-resistant, which is always a great feature to have while camping.
- Shorter run time: While this flashlight can run for hours on medium, it would be nice if it had a longer run time.
Maglite Mini Pro LED
Maglight’s mini LED flashlight makes a great camping flashlight because it is compact and very durable. Like its bigger brother on this list, this Maglight offers great quality and lots of light. At 272 lumens, this flashlight is great for general camping usage.
The flashlight comes with the required 2 AA batteries as well as a nylon holster. This is a solid option for someone looking for a simple camping flashlight.
- Durability & strength: This is a very well-made flashlight. It will definitely be able to stand up to some rough use.
- Comes with a carrying sheath: A nice added bonus to this flashlight is that it comes with a belt carrying sheath.
- Water resistant: A water-resistant flashlight is almost a must when it comes to the best camping flashlights. This Maglite does not disappoint and is water resistant.
- Easily fits in your pocket: This is a great flashlight if you want to carry it in your pocket. It is compact and won’t feel too big and bulky.
- Low run time: At only 2.5 hours of run time, this flashlight could really use some more run time to make it ideal.
- Not rechargeable: While having a rechargeable flashlight is not a necessity, it would be a really nice feature to have.
Mikafen 5 Pack Mini LED Flashlights
Mikafen’s pack of 5 mini LED flashlights is great for those campers looking for a lot of flashlights. This would be perfect if you are wanting to buy flashlights for your kids. While producing 300 lumens, these flashlights are small and compact and allow you to easily carry them in a pocket. These flashlights produce a lot of light and are great for camping.
- Pack of 5: You get 5 separate flashlights in this pack, which is really nice. You can place them in the most convenient locations or give one to each kid. Whatever you decide to do with them, you will have 5 to work with.
- Easily fits in your pocket: These are nice compact flashlights. If you want something that can easily fit in your pocket, this is a great option. Additionally, because these are smaller, they will fit nicely in kids’ pockets as well.
- 3 light modes: These flashlights have 3 light modes, high, low, and strobe. High is good for the times when you need more illumination, and low is good when you want to save the battery. You also get a strobe mode, which is good for emergency situations.
- Can feel small in larger hands: These are smaller flashlights and so might feel a little too small for those with smaller hands. This would not be the best option if you want something that has a nice large handle and grip.
- Not rechargeable: These flashlights are not rechargeable, so you will have to make sure you have some extra batteries when the batteries run out.
Streamlight Stylus Pro LED PenLight
Streamlight’s Pro LED Penlight is a great option for campers who would like a small and convenient backup flashlight. Because this flashlight is a penlight, it is very slim and can easily fit in your pocket. At only 100 lumens, it is not the brightest flashlight, but it will still produce plenty of light inside a tent or is a small area. It would be great as a backup flashlight or a small utility flashlight for checking things like pots, pans, or anything at close range.
- Easily fits in your pocket: This is a nice slim flashlight that will easily fit in your pocket. Because the flashlight is so slim, it is a great option for those who want a flashlight that doesn’t take up much room.
- 8 hours of run time: 8 hours of run time is actually pretty good for such a small light. It runs off of 2 AAA batteries and so an 8-hour run time is pretty good.
- Water resistant: Having a water-resistant flashlight is a great feature for camping flashlights because you never know when you might get a little wet.
- Removeable pocket clip: This camping flashlight comes with a removable pocket clip. This is a great feature that makes it a good option for those who want it to attach to their pocket as well as to simply carry it in their pocket.
- Provides minimal light: This flashlight only produces 100 lumens and so doesn’t offer a lot of light. While not great for outdoors, it is a good option for inside a tent.
- Not rechargeable: While having a rechargeable flashlight is not necessary, it is a nice feature to have. This flashlight is not rechargeable, and you will need to remember to bring some extra batteries when on a longer camping trip.
Streamlight ProTac Professional Tactical Light
Streamlight’s 88061 ProTac flashlight is a great pocket flashlight for camping. This is a great choice for campers who are looking for a compact yet powerful flashlight that can easily fit in your pocket. At 350 lumens, this small flashlight will provide you with lots of light in an easy-to-carry size.
Additionally, this flashlight can run off of multiple battery types. Including one CR123A lithium battery, one AA alkaline, or one AA lithium battery. The only downside to this camping flashlight is that it does not have the longest running time. On high, this light can only run for 1.75 hours.
- Easily fits in your pocket: This is a small and compact flashlight that will easily fit in your pocket. You won’t have to worry about it taking up too much room or feeling too bulky in your pocket.
- Batteries included: Most flashlights don’t come with batteries, so having batteries included with this flashlight is a nice perk.
- Water resistant: Water resistance is a great feature to have in a flashlight. You definitely don’t want to be out camping and have your light stop working because it gets a little wet.
- 3 light modes: This flashlight has 3 light modes, which is good so you can have the right amount of light when you need it.
- Low run time: This flashlight does not have the longest run time. On high, the flashlight will only last for 1.75 hours.
In conclusion, flashlights are an important part of your camping gear. It’s important to find one that works for your needs so that you have exactly what you need when you need it.
With the advancements in LED technology, it’s pretty easy to find flashlights that produce lots of light but remember, brighter isn’t always better. It’s best to find one that will suit your needs without going overboard. A great option is to find a flashlight that has multiple light settings so that you can adjust the brightness to your needs.
Additionally, knowing how long a flashlight will last is important. If you are planning a week-long camping trip, you are most likely going to need to either bring extra batteries, have a way to recharge your batteries or get a flashlight that will last the entire trip. Either way, ensure you have a plan so that you don’t run out of electricity halfway through your trip.
Now that you know how to find a great flashlight get what you need, and then get out and have some fun in the great outdoors.