Camping often means being exposed to dirt, bacteria, and all manners of grime. The soap you use mustn’t become a breeding ground for bacteria or abrasive chemicals to feel refreshed and clean after a big trip outdoors. Thankfully several biodegradable soaps work just as well as the ones in your bathroom cabinet while doing minor damage to the environment. Soap has a low environmental impact and harsh effects on wildlife. The chemicals found in many soaps can harm fish and other wildlife. Soap mess up their reproductive systems or causes them to die later from toxic build-up from their skin.
What to look for when evaluating the Best Biodegradable Soaps for Camping?
The most important thing to consider when looking for biodegradable soap is it biodegrades into harmless compounds. Eco-friendly soap cleans just as well as non-degradable but without environmental harm. Biodegradable camp soaps are closely related to eco-friendly camping soap, which also refers to the same types of soap without causing pollution. The two terms are often used interchangeably. Biodegradable soap is made from a variety of different ingredients. The way these ingredients degrade depends on the soap’s overall manufacturing process and how it is broken down after use.
Natural soaps are biodegradable and mostly made from various plants and oils found naturally in the environment. It makes them much less harmful to the environment than many synthetic chemical ingredients in most biodegradable soaps. Natural soap will clean well without harming sensitive wildlife or damaging the environment as much as other types of soap.
The green biodegradable soap containing natural ingredients is safe for you and the environment. You will find companies that make biodegradable soaps with hazardous chemicals such as sodium lauryl sulfate, synthetic detergents like sodium lauryl ether sulfate, synthetic dyes, and artificial fragrances. It can cause skin irritation and other joint problems. Natural soap is made with 100% natural ingredients that are safe for the environment but still clean, just as well as synthetic soaps.
The concentration of biodegradable soap can range significantly. The more concentrated the ingredient, the faster it breaks down and thus is better for the environment. A soap with a higher concentration will likely be clean, and one with a lower concentration but will have less impact on ecosystem health for many years to come. The following are the seven best biodegradable soaps for camping.
1. Outdoor RX
This soap is concentrated and contains all the ingredients needed to clean your body, just as typical commercial soap. The soap is made from natural oils such as coconut and olive oils. The soap itself is biodegradable and will break down in about three weeks after being used.
- Economical soap
- It is not suitable not for bathing or shaving.
- Biodegradable, concentrated and fragrance-free soap!
- Camp Soap is safe for cleaning hands, body, hair, clothing, dishes and more!
2. JUNIPER RIDGE Coastal Pine Solve, 8 oz
This biodegradable soap from JUNIPER RIDGE is pure anti-bacterial soap in an 8oz container. The soap can be used for all purposes but is especially great for use in the kitchen and on dishes to keep them clean. The container design is easy to recognize when you use it, making it simple to tell when to replace it. It is a pure biodegradable soap that is great for anyone who wants to keep the environment safe without sacrificing a good, essential soap.
- The soap is made with no synthetic ingredients, making it safe to use around children and wildlife.
- The scent is mild and will not irritate sensitive skin.
- The soap does not leave after-shower residue on the skin.
- It only comes in an 8oz container.
- BE ONE WITH NATURE: Imagine yourself walking among the coastal forests from central California to Alaska. Warmed in the winter by Pacific storms and cooled in the summer by blankets of fog, you can picture yourself breathing in the cool fresh air of the temperate rainforest. Take in the smells of the douglas fir, redwoods, hemlock and cedar, walk amongst the fern and lichen carpeted ground. Our Coastal Pine scent takes you there, infused with notes of pine, citrusy conifer and ocean air.
- MULTI PURPOSE: Concentrated castile soap is more than just a body wash, making it the perfect all-in-one travel companion to take on your next hiking or camping adventure. In addition to body wash it can be used as an all-natural substitute for: face wash, shampoo, shaving cream, foot bath, dish soap, laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaner, fruit and veggie wash and dog shampoo. Certain uses require dilution with water or mixing the castile soap with a carrier substance.
3. Seventh Generation Natural Soap
The biodegradable soap from Seventh Generation has natural ingredients that keep your body clean without causing environmental harm. The soap is safe for use in all areas of your body, including your face. It is free of phosphates, borates, and other chemicals that harm the environment.
- The soap is unscented
- It comes in an easy-to-use pump container
- It is environmentally friendly.
- The soap has a light and slightly chalky scent that some find unpleasant.
- Fundamentally clean hands with 6X more cleaning ingredients than Seventh Generation liquid hand soap
- Zero plastic packaging: Container made of steel, the most recyclable and recycled material in the world
4. Pure Castille Liquid Soap Dr. Bronner’s
This biodegradable soap from Dr. Bronner’s is a tough-on-grease, pure-Castille liquid soap that contains organic hemp oil and fair trade organic olive oil. It is designed for use in the kitchen or cleaning dishes, but it can also be used as a body wash to keep you clean and safe from germs. The soap is unscented, making it safer when around children or wildlife.
- The soap is unscented and safe for use around children and wildlife.
- It is made with natural ingredients.
- It is multipurpose
- It can be hard to squeeze out of the container.
- MADE WITH ORGANIC OILS & CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS: Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castile Liquid Soaps are made with over 90% organic ingredients. Over 70% of ingredients are certified fair trade, meaning ethical working conditions & fair prices.
- GOOD FOR YOUR BODY & THE PLANET: Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps are fully biodegradable & use all-natural, vegan ingredients that pose no threat to the environment. Our products & ingredients are never tested on animals & are cruelty-free.
5. SEA TO SUMMIT Super Concentrated Wilderness Citronella Wash 16.9 Ounce
This biodegradable soap from SEA TO SUMMIT is a Super Concentrated Wilderness Wash that is all-purpose and can be used to wash your body, dishes, and clothes. The soap is 100% chemical-free, making it safe to use around children, wildlife, and sensitive ecosystems. It comes in a 16.9-ounce container, which will last for 20 washes if you only use it for washing your body or one washing if you use it just for your dishes. The soap is made with no synthetic ingredients, making it safe for use around kids and wildlife and on sensitive ecosystems.
- The soap is 100% chemical-free.
- The container design is easy to recognize.
- It is not hypoallergenic
- It does not have much scent.
- Phosphate and Paraben free
- Biodegradable /Environment friendly phosphate free
6. Sierra Dawn Campsuds
Campsuds is a natural soap that is biodegradable, scent-free, non-toxic, and made with a 100% renewable resource. It comes in a 16-ounce container. The soap is all-purpose, so you can use it for any purpose you want. It was designed to be safe for use around wildlife and sensitive ecosystems.
- Easily form lather
- The soap is all-purpose
- It is made with harmless chemicals to the environment.
- It comes in a big container.
- ALL-PURPOSE CAMPING SOAP: CampSuds is a concentrated camping soap used for hands, face, dishes, and clothes or for cleaning your camping gear. Excellent as travel hiking soap, camping shampoo, camping dish soap, dishwashing liquid soap, and camping laundry soap with minimal water use. Enjoy a relaxing outdoor experience without worrying about harmful chemicals or strong fragrances.
- CONVENIENT AND COST-EFFICIENT: Our all purpose camping soap comes in a convenient and lightweight bottle that's perfect for camping, hiking, backpacking, travel, and even at home. It's environmentally conscious and concentrated. You only need a few drops to get your washables squeaky clean, and one bottle of Campsuds could last for many months. A biodegradable dish soap for camping that is convenient and practical to use.
7. Joshua Tree Body Wash
This biodegradable soap from Joshua Tree is a natural soap that can be used anywhere, at home, or on your camping trip. It has a light and slightly chalky scent because it contains no harsh chemicals. It is made with no synthetic ingredients, making it safe for use around children and wildlife and on sensitive ecosystems.
- The soap is unscented
- It can wash anything, making it very versatile.
- It has a light and slightly chalky scent that some find unpleasant.
- Biodegradable - Safe to use indoors and out as a body wash, shampoo, even to wash your dog, for clothes or dishes at camp
- 8 oz/236 ml size is portable with enough to last!
Many biodegradable soaps on the market offer many advantages, but each product has advantages and disadvantages. If you are concerned about the environment and your health, it is up to you to decide what is the best biodegradable soaps for camping for your situation. You may find one product works better in one situation than another, or you may find other products that get the job done better in general. Outdoor RX is a company that strives to offer you the best eco-friendly cleaning products that are both safe for the environment and your health.